October 31, 2006

Halloween List-y Goodness

1. Happy Halloween and all that. I am SO excited for the trick-or-treaters, it's sick. I LOVE trick-or-treaters. I asked some neighbors and was told to expect between 75 and 100 (!!) Can't wait!

2. My all time most favorite trick-or-treater showed up at my mom's door about ten or so years ago. She was somewhere between 7 and 9 and was dressed as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz - the pigtails, the shoes, even a basked with a stuffed puppy in it. She was adorable. We gave her candy and my mom says to her "Wow! You make a fantastic Dorothy!" This little girl immediately went from all smiles and thank you's to complete and total attitude and hostility. She sighed deeply, rolled her eyes and says to my mom "Oh. My. God. I am NOT Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. CAN'T YOU SEE THAT I AM JUDY GARLAND?!" and storms down the driveway. It was so hysterical that I actually chased this kid down the driveway and loaded her down with candy. She made my halloween.

3. Buying Halloween candy is a huge responsibility. Did I buy enough? What if I bought too much? It has to be stuff the kids will like, but also that I will like, you know, in case there's leftovers. Sheesh!

4. I bought good candy, for the record: I found giant bags of assorted candy: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Almond Joys, Heath Bars, Rolos and Whoppers. Yum! I also picked up a giant assortment of skittles and starburst (not so much yum. I've got a slight aversion to fake fruit flavors.) As backup, we've got smaller bags of Take 5 bars and more Reese's Cups (my personal crack).

5. Hubby was under strict orders that any assortment purchased could not contain Milk Duds. I had a traumatic experience with one in my youth. Had a loose tooth and was eating a milk dud. Well, the dud actually pulled the loose tooth, ubeknownst to me, and when I bit back into the dud, I also bit into the tooth. It makes my skin crawl to think about it to this day, and it was probably 25 years ago. Haven't had a Milk Dud since. Do you blame me?

6. Actually, over time that phobia has kind of grown to things that stick to my teeth in general. There are no Sugar Daddies, fruit roll-ups, Swedish Fish or gummy things of any sort. Ew.

7. I kind of miss dressing up for Halloween. It used to be a big deal - what you were going to be for halloween. I went as everything from a hobo to an angel to Laura Ingalls Wilder (I was in first grade and in love with the Little House series) to a witch to a graduate to a mime to Madonna to Cher to (my most recent and still personal favorite): Mia Wallace. I had the giant needle and everything. And one year, I couldn't decide what to be, so I busted out a cocktail dress, heels, and full-arm gloves. Did my hair all fancy and put on a bunch of makeup and away I went. Dressed up for Halloween (get it?!). Yeah, I know. Lame. But fun.

8. I didn't even decorate my house for halloween this year. I know. I totally suck. I just got really busy with stuff and it hit me on Sunday. I wasn't dragging everything out for two days. It just wasn't worth it.

9. I inherited a GIANT box of cookbooks this weekend from a friend. Some were published in the 30's. I am SO. EXCITED. I can't wait to go through them all!!

10. Happy Halloween!

5 comments:

L said...

i wish i could still go trick or treating! it becomes less cute and more creepy as one becomes an adult.
those cookbooks sound COOL!!!!

Artistic Soul said...

The Milk Duds story gave me an upchuck sort of sensation.

Unknown said...

I'm with Lisa, I wish I could go trick a treating. My neighbours give the BEST candy. And this year, for the first time ever, my parents are doling out the good stuff! I hope it goes well but I'm secretly hoping for a low turnout...mean, I know. I just can't help myself!

Anonymous said...

The kids had a ball this year as usual... I did't buy candy to hand out Suz and I split a gi-normous bag of small playdoughs!! OUr husbands think we'll be egged tonight but we think it was a great handout! and I only have to worry about keepiong my own grubby paws out of the kids collected candy instead of the left over treats. We only had about 20 kids this year. Whooopdeedo.

Anonymous said...

Paige wanted to be Dorothy for halloween this year but unfortunately she left it to the last minute so we went out and bought a costume... Dorothy will be next year.

Who links to me?